FIRST 7.0 (Flexographic Image Reproduction Specifications & Tolerances) is the industry’s most comprehensive set of specifications, guidelines and tutorials designed to provide all members of the flexographic supply chain with the technical information needed to produce high-quality and consistent print results, pressrun after pressrun.
FIRST 7.0 is a document created for the industry, by the industry.
For 25 years, FIRST has empowered production managers to bring their printing processes to the next level by implementing the procedures and methodologies necessary to produce high-quality and consistent flexographic results, pressrun after pressrun.
New in FIRST 7.0
- An All-New Section: The new Measurement & Verification Section eliminates redundancy and enables quick referencing in a production environment.
- More, More, More: Over 50 new pages of new content throughout all sections.
- Methodology That Matters: FIRST Methodology was modeled after CGATS TR 012-2003. In 2020, TR 012 was updated; that update has been integrated in the Communication & Implementation section.
- Evolving Designer Needs: As the designer’s responsibilities have changed, the Design Section has also changed to reflect new process and procedures used in flexographic package design.
- Updates for Prepress: Extensive updates on color proofing, detailed descriptions of spectrophotometer measuring modes, an entirely new section focused on proofing for expanded gamut, and more.
- Added Essential Information: Appendices provide abstracts and important highlights to more than 120 different standards referenced in FIRST 7.0. Also included are The Optimal Method—a new print calibration technique using tone curves to match an ICC profile—as well as results of the FQC Opacity of Substrates and White Ink Project, to name a few.